Monday, March 4, 2013

A Week of Dinners (1)

So many people ask me where I get my meal ideas from. Mostly from just thinking of different foods that I would like to incorporate into my diet. When I come up short on ideas I search bhg.com for quick healthy meals. I normally read a recipe then turn it into my own creation. I don't want 17 ingredients to cook with-8 of those being things I have never heard of. I like to keep things simple. If my local grocery store doesn't carry it, I probably won't be using it. You can always take the main idea of a recipe and alter it to the things you have in your kitchen.

I understand that some people don't like thinking up meals. They want that cheat sheet put in front of them...well consider me your cheat! As I make new things I will give you the recipe with pictures of all the yumminess I'm cooking up. I am going to call these posts 'A Week Of Dinners'. I will do five meals on each post...some nights I might do a repeat of a meal I have cooked before or a Cuginos soup (I'll tell you about those later), so that's why there will be five instead of seven. Five meals that I have created that I know you can too!


Dinner One:
Shrimp and Pineapple

 
 
Ingredients:
 
Frozen bag of shrimp
Small can of pineapple
Old Bay seasoning
 
Shrimp and Pineapple is simply that. I grabbed a bag of frozen shrimp from my freezer ($5.00 at Walmart raw or cooked works fine), a small can of pineapple from my pantry, and a little Old Bay seasoning.
 
Put a little I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! in your skillet, toss the bag of shrimp and Old bay in next. Cook each side a few minutes, about 3 - 4 on each side. Now chuck in the can of pineapple. Let the two simmer together long enough for them to marry...a few minutes.
 
TADA~ you are done. This is a meal that takes literally minutes!
I'm going to do shrimp skewers with pineapple chunks next time.
 
 
 
Dinner Two:
Pizza
 
 





 
This Pizza can be made two ways with two different types of bread.
 
 
Type One: Hot Pizza

Ingredients:

Joseph's Mini Pizza Shells (Sold in Walmart Deli)
Shredded Cheese
Tomato Sauce (small can works)
Can Chicken
Can Shrimp
Bacon Bits (the ones in a bag....they are similar to real bits)
All the veggies you like! I use the following
Bell Pepper-any color you can find.
Jalapeno

Spread the tomato sauce first then toss all the ingredients on a shell. Then bake for 12 minutes at 350. (Use the back of the shell bag for time to bake). This recipe is so filling, low in calories, and packed with protein.

Type Two: Cold Pizza

Ingredients:

Joseph's Mini Pizza Shells (Sold in Walmart Deli)
Shredded Cheese
Cream Cheese Spread or Cream Cheese
Ranch Seasoning Mix
Can Chicken
Can Shrimp
Bacon Bits (the ones in a bag....they are similar to real bits)
All the veggies you like! I use the following
Bell Pepper-any color you can find.
Jalapeno

These are cooked a little different.

Bake the shells for 12 minutes at 350 then take them out of the oven. Place the cream cheese down first then sprinkle with ranch powder (you can mix the cream cheese and ranch powder together if you wish). I don't use an entire packet of the ranch...just guesstimate here. Next place all the meat and veggies on and top with shredded cheese. That's it- another filling meal is complete.

If you want to make an entire large pizza you can buy the premade pizza shells or a couple bags of the dough mix and make your own pizza dough. I did this last night. It actually turned out just like Pizza Hut minus the fat and grease! Both small and large pizza dough is so yummy!

Try this - you won't be disappointed! This recipe is about making it your own! Use the veggies you like.


Dinner Three:
Taco Salad
















Taco salad is simple.

Ingredients:

Turkey Meat
Taco Seasoning Packet
Lettuce
Veggies
Can Kidney Beans
Can Tomatos
Can Corn
Pace Salsa
Shredded Cheese
Tortilla Chips- I use Sage Valley Yellow Corn ones....7 chips is 70 calories...and they are huge
Lite Sour Cream
Lite Ranch

Ground your turkey meat and add taco seasoning per the packet directions. While that is cooking either microwave or use the stovetop to cook the beans, tomatos, and corn in seperate bowls. Drain the meat, beans, corn, and tomatos. It's very simple-Toss into a bowl: lettuce, veggies...love some green bell peppers, beans, corn, & tomatos. Next sprinkle some cheese, a little salsa (2 Tbsp is only 10 calories), a dab of sour cream or ranch, add a few chips and you are done!

 Quick, Easy, and Yummy!


Dinner Four:
Maple Pork Chops and Cabbage with Sausage



Ingredients:

Pork Chops (bone in or out)
Lite Sugar Free Syrup
Cabbage
Turkey Sausage

Marinate the pork chops in the syrup then bake. Times to cook will depend on the meat you buy. Normally I cook mine at 350 for 20 minutes, the chops shown took longer because they are much larger and thicker than the normally ones hanging out in my freezer. I sprinkle a little meat tenderizer on mine to make sure every bite is tender.

Cut and wash the cabbage then toss in a pot of water. Cut the turkey sausage and add to the cabbage with a spinkle of salt. Cook on stove top until cabbage is tender.

This meal is something your grandmother would make without all the calories. The sweet pork chops is heavenly and just the right flavor. Give it a try!



Dinner Five:
Chicken Piccata (my way)




Ingredients:

Chicken Breasts or fingers
Lemon
Mrs. Dash Seasoning

Dab a little olive oil on the chicken, dash of salt, & a sprinkle of Mrs. Dash seasoning (garlic and herb) - you can leave that seasoning out or add it for more flavor. Take lemon slices and place on top of the chicken. Bake in a foil lined pan at 375 for about an hour or until chicken is done. I pair this with roasted potatoes or asparagus.

This is great for nights you don't have time to deal with several ingredients.



Next week I will have more meals and a surprise for you guys!!!

Go try the meals from this week and tell me how you like them! I'm also posting more snack ideas today, so don't forget to grab your shopping sheet and add those items to your list!

Until Next Time, Be the Best You Can Be!

XOXO
Cori




No comments:

Post a Comment